MINUTES OF A MEETING
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF THE BLACKWATER LAKE ASSOC.
June 24, 2018
A meeting of the board of directors of the Blackwater Lake Association (“the BLA”) was held on the above date at 3058 4th Avenue North, Longville, MN 56655, at the home of Chairman Lloyd Thielmann. Board of Directors Lloyd Thielmann, Carolyn Dindorf (via phone), Linda Burns, Barbie Laughlin, Dodi Sletten, Becky Seemann, and Val Hyde (via phone) were present at the meeting. Travis Skalicky and Jerry Franke were not present. A quorum was present at the meeting.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:40 a.m. by Board Chairman, Lloyd Thielmann.
Approval of Agenda
Lloyd distributed the agenda for the meeting which, upon motion duly made and seconded, was unanimously approved.
Approval of Prior Minutes
The minutes of the May 6, 2018 BOD’s meeting were distributed by Dodi Sletten via email in May and available at this meeting. After review by the board which, upon a motion duly made and seconded, the meeting minutes were unanimously approved as submitted.
Linda Burns reported a current balance of $4862.66. To date, 47 members have paid their dues and this included 17 new memberships from last year. Since July 1st of 2017, donations received for AIS is $1,763.63 with a total of $3373.63 since inception of the donation program. Lloyd will confirm Pat Schwerin will again audit the books prior to the annual meeting. Upon motion duly made and seconded, the Treasurer’s report was approved as submitted.
- 4th of July parade: The Larson’s and Skalicky’s will chair the event with $100 given as the prize for the best decorated float. Lloyd will request Tom Staley to take photos. Barbie will request Tom Shannon to take pictures as well. The parade will assemble at 1:45pm and will be going clockwise starting at 2:00pm. A mention of the event will be in the blurb as well as in an email from Lloyd.
- Email and Blurb: Lloyd will draft and send an email that will contain information on the 4th of July parade, the annual meeting date and time, the silent auction and upcoming Cabin Coffee dates and hosts. Lloyd will also assemble the blurb and include articles on the 4th of July parade, annual meeting date and time as well as the agenda, cabin coffees (dates and hosts), silent auction and the membership form.
- AIS training: Lloyd reported the recruitment of two new volunteers, Jeff Wibeto and Keith Wahlstrom. Lloyd indicated he could provide some of training material to the volunteers. Training will be scheduled dependent on Carolyn’s ability to do the training. Carolyn proposed that an abbreviated version of a CD3 station could work for Blackwater Lake utilizing tools including a grabber and brush. Carolyn will check on the equipment. Lloyd will check with the DNR on station types that would be allowed.
- ACCL meeting: Becky and Lloyd attended and reported that Jeff Forester urged members to join Minnesota Lakes and Rivers Advocates as indivual member. He urged “weekend warriors” work with their local legislator to provide a voice that will serve our interests. Dodi will attend the meeting on June 29th.
- Beaver Control: Barbie will check with an additional individual on potential interest. Lloyd will look for a lake volunteer to remove debris and check for beaver blockage. A suggestion was made to display a want ad at the Mule Lake store and at the Lakes Area Hardware store indicating a need of beaver control on Blackwater Lake.
- Elections: Barb and Val have agreed to rerun as directors. Lloyd is working with two individuals to run for the board. Once Lloyd receives agreement, this will be put in the blurb agenda.
- Blackwater Blurb: The one page blurb will contain the annual meeting agenda, Cabin Coffee dates, hosts and addresses as well as information on the silent auction and water testing kits. A membership form will also be included. The target date is to have in the mail by Wednesday June 27th. A suggestion was to mention the beaver control need in the Blurb if there was room.
- Annual Meeting: July 21st is the annual meeting. 9:00a.m. will be the social hour with coffee and donuts and an opportunity to view and bid on silent auction items. The meeting will start at 10:00a.m. After discussion, the agenda for the meeting was approved by the board. Sara Ahlers from AW Research Labs in Brainerd will be the guest speaker and will be asked to speak for 15 minutes followed by a small question and answer period. Sara and Becky will provide a table for water testing kits to be sold. Becky will determine a date for collection and let the members know during the meeting. The open floor portion of the agenda will include a talk by Lloyd and comments by Barbie on the latest Cabin Coffee gathering. Becky Seemann will serve as Sergeant at Arms. In addition, the following assignments were made as noted:
- The Franke’s will be responsible for the Blackwater Wear sales.
- Barbie and Dodi will be in charge of the silent auction; announce the winners post meeting and collect the silent auction funds.
- Lloyd will order and pick-up the food from Costco. The menu will be the same as last year which will be sandwiches and potato salad. Craig Laughlin and Terry Thielmann will host the luncheon.
- Val will create and print off placemats which will contain puzzles and interesting facts.
- Travis will pick-up the donuts.
- Blackwater Wear: Lloyd introduced a suggestion to order hats which have proven to be a great seller in the past. The board approved the purchase of 25 hats.
Next Board Meetings
The annual meeting will be held on July 21, 2018 at the Woodrow town Hall. The next board meeting will be held on October 7, 2018, beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the home of Chairman Lloyd Thielmann.
There being no further business to come before the Board, and upon motion duly made and seconded, the meeting was adjourned by unanimous approval at 10:24 a.m.
Dated as of the date first written above.
Dodi Sletten, Secretary